Our energy system is outdated in many ways: fossil fuel based and thus unsustainable, technocratic and dominated by a few big market players. But already some decades, citizens are developing the alternative system: renewable, decentralized and democratic. The strong development of renewable energy cooperatives shows us what citizens are capable of, especially when they are supported by a partner state, that develops a stimulating legal framework and offers smart incentives.
How can we strengthen this transition to an energy system of the future?
-Dirk Holemans, coordinator Think Tank Oikos
-Dirk Vansintjan, President REScoop.eu
-Elise Steyaert, local climate cooperation Klimaan Mechelen
-Claire Roumet, Director Energy Cities
-Johan Daenen, Member of Flemish Parliament
-Bob d’Haeseleer, Green Party in Eeklo (BE)
IHECS, Priemstraat 15, 1000 Brussels
- 17h00 Welcome by Aurelie Marechal, director Green European Foundation
- 17h10 Stage setting by Dirk Holemans, coordinator Oikos think tank
- 17h30 Local & citizen initiatives with Elise Steyaert (Klimaan), Dirk Vansintjan (REScoop), Bob d’Haeseleer(Groen Eeklo)
- 18h30 Q&A
- 19h00 Coffee break & finger food
- 19h30 Role of governments with Claire Roumet (Energy Cities),Johan Daenen (Member of Flemish Parliament)
- 20h30 Q&A